click picture for AYCARDUS website

click picture for AYCARDUS website
Meister Eckhart

Friday, February 4, 2011

A book on Eckhart's Death

I have to post this.  It is a bit different from the AYCARDUS Project's normal works but it offers a diversion.  I recently published a novel on the death of Meister Eckhart.

I began wondering what we could say about his final years.  Studying the facts that we have on this great preacher's death put forth a new set of questions.  After years of studying Eckhart, asking about the facts, I began asking a different set of questions.  Only then did the facts begin to reveal their secrets.  Slowly the facts and events began to tell a story of their own, a most engaging story.

As I worked, it seemed to me that an academic article would be too difficult to do credibly and be of much interest to the reader.  The more I wondered about the facts the more I knew that there was a story that needed to be told.  But it is a story with a twist.

Excerpt:
The boy's body lay on the deck, wet and motionless.  I recognized him as the crewman who earlier feared the River Witch.  I don't know how the past hour unfolded but it was the closest to the torments of hell I have known in this life.  We had just cleared the third and largest of the river islands and with each passage the  force of the river narrowed and its roll became more violent.  The captain had kept the sails full to push  against the current and the two rudder men were angling the ship into a somewhat calm passage up the Mosel.   It seemed all too perfect, all too flawless. . . .

(from chapter 3, 'The River Journey' in The Death of Magister Aycardus by M. Thomas-Paul Demkovich).


You can buy the book online here

or from amazon.com and other retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment